The coat of arms was originally approved for the 17th Field Artillery Regiment on 25 March 1920. It was amended to correct the blazon of the shield on 15 June 1920. It was redesignated for the 17th Field Artillery Battalion on 27 September 1944. It was redesignated for the 17th Artillery Regiment on 28 November 1958. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 September 1971, for the 17th Field Artillery Regiment.
The 5th Field Artillery Regiment was constituted as part of the Regular Army in January 1907. Individual battalions have lineages which date back further. Currently, it is a parent regiment under the U.S. Army Regimental System, with a single active battalion, the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, which is assigned to the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kansas.