The 17th Cavalry Regiment was first organized under the provisions of the National Defense Act of 1916 at Fort Bliss, TX on 30 June 1916 and constituted on 1 July 1916. At that time, General Pershing had taken U.S. Military formations into Mexico only a short time earlier and the need for Cavalry troops was pressing.
Originally organized as G Troop, 17th Cavalry Regiment; the 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment was formally reactivated on 25 November 1966. The Squadron adopted the name “Ruthless Riders” and shortly thereafter, deployed to Vietnam on 28 October 1967 as a separate Air Cavalry Squadron of the 1st Aviation Brigade. The Squadron mission was to provide reconnaissance and security for the 4th Infantry Division and other allied units. The Squadron routinely conducted successful combat operations, gathered valuable intelligence, and killed and captured enemy Soldiers. For their achievements and distinguished combat service, the Squadron was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation and four Valorous Unit Awards for their actions in Vietnam.