The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 4th Field Artillery Regiment on 29 September 1923. It was redesignated for the 4th Field Artillery Battalion on 9 August 1941. It was canceled on 21 April 1959. The insignia was reinstated and redesignated for the 4th Field Artillery Regiment effective 1 September 1971.
The 4th Field Artillery Regiment is a Field Artillery Branch regiment of the United States Army first formed in 1907.