The coat of arms was originally approved for the 17th Field Artillery Regiment on 25 March 1920. It was amended to correct the blazon of the shield on 15 June 1920. It was redesignated for the 17th Field Artillery Battalion on 27 September 1944. It was redesignated for the 17th Artillery Regiment on 28 November 1958. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 September 1971, for the 17th Field Artillery Regiment.
The 2nd Field Artillery Regiment is a field artillery regiment in the United States Army. Currently a parent regiment under the U.S. Army Regimental System, the regiment has a single active battalion, the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Field Artillery, assigned to the 428th Field Artillery Brigade at the U.S. Army Field Artillery, Fort Sill, OK. Their long history is currently represented by the 2nd Field Artillery Mascots.