The 44th Signal Battalion (Expeditionary) was first constituted on 3 February 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 44th Signal Construction Battalion. It was redesigned on 14 April 1944 as the 44th Signal Light Construction Battalion and activated at Camp Forrest, Tennessee. The unit was later reorganized and redesignated on 26 June 1944 as the 44th Heavy Signal Construction Battalion. After the Second World War it was inactivated on 6 April 1946 in Japan. During World War II, the unit earned the credit for participation in the Rhineland Campaign and the Central Europe Campaign.